Friday, March 27, 2009

Sharon's Heart Surgery was a SUCCESS.

Tom's Journal.

I had a very long hard day starting when my wife at the hospital phoned me at 0400 to wake me up. So I was at the Kenosha Memorial Hosp, down near the |Lake about 4:45 and the staff decided to move her surgery up from 7AM to 6:30 so that cut down the amount of time I could spend with my wife. Well, as I waited in the waiting room close to the O.R. they sent nurses/ runners to make progress reports ever 2 hours or so, and it took the 2 doctors, Dr. Stone, and Dr. Kumpata, 5 1/2 hours to successfully complete the surgery! I just got home a few minutes ago because there was nothing more I could do-- as Sharon was put into a drug induced deep sleep for the next 3 days, and she is hooked up to so many hoses, lines, etc., and by law the nurse forbade me to take any pictures.

From what the good doctor Kumpata told me [in the flesh] was that it was a difficult maneuver/ procedure and they knew what they were up against [from past experience], but so far they say it looks good-- a SUCCESS! Brother John Falkner, from VBC was the only one who stopped in to visit me for a few minutes-- and then he had to take his son to work. He is a dear old Christian friend of mine who helped baptize me back in 1997, and he is a kind, mature, smart Christian who does more than his share of work! Mrs. Habel called me once or twice on my cell phone while I was waiting to check in on Sharon's progress, and I will send her this report in a few minutes, and to all others.

After 5 whole hours went by, I began to fear the worst, and started to panic a bit with anxiety attacks, and I could feel my blood pressure go up--and part of this is a personal thing related to my PTSD and combat in Vietnam 40 years ago... [and I needed to take my meds at home]. Then after being there almost 11 hours, they told me she was done, but I would half to wait another 1 1/2 hours while they hooked her up with all sorts of tubes and lines. I got frustrated and told the girl who monitored the progress in the waiting room that I desperately needed to take my meds at home 22 miles away, and all I wanted to do was to see my wife to make sure she was alive, breathing properly, check on her, talk to the attending nurse who was watching her every second-- which I did in person a few minutes later, but then Dr. Kumpata appeared in ICU/ recovery, and was kind enough to give me the full report/ status of my dear wife. He looked serious and sober/ grave when talking to me but assured me twice that the operation was indeed a success. Knowing that she could not see or hear me, I then went home to shake off some of the high stress. I was praising and thanking my Lord and Savior all the way home for Sharon's recovery and spared life-- as she was so close to death these past few weeks, and in the Operating Room today.

Footnote: when I first came in to wait, I met a lady named Judy, my age, widowed, who was waiting for her own son to recover from a gall bladder Op., and I struck up a long conversation with her about the Bible, and I witnessed to her and even had her read some scriptures from the Bible I had with me [as I always try to carry in case the opportunity strikes! She liked and admired me a lot and learned tons of interesting, good things, as the Holy Spirit guided my tongue and brain--- and that made me feel very good inside! I gave her my business card so she could email me for more instruction if she cared to. It is SUCH A GREAT PRIVILEGE to be "used" by God, as a "tool" to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with other people!! I even taught her how to say the 'Sinners Prayer' to get Saved and right with Jesus. PTL! More about this latter.

I know that Sharon is not completely out of the woods yet, but a big load of fear and anxiety and chest pains melted from my weary body after the 'good news.'
As I told her early this morning, 'maybe she will be a completely different woman after she heals and that will give old Soldier Tom MUCH more love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, self control, goodness, mentioned at Galatians 5:22 !
Hey-- I did more praying these past few weeks than I have in a long time [bringing me closer to the Lord-- and my wife...], and found out just how much I cared for Sharon, love her, and miss her at home. I won't mind helping and nursing her when she finally gets home and realize that she will be unable to work at all-- and I figured out how to do the laundry and operate the washing, etc..

More Reports as I go to see Sharon every day.

Thank you for all your comments, prayers, thoughts and well wishes...

Your Friend and Brother in Christ,


Jimmy's Journal said...

Great news Tom. Now you can relax a little.


garnett109 said...

Yahoo!Great News! Now Get Some Rest!

Penny said...

PRAISE THE LORD!!! Our prayers continue to be with both Sharon and with you, dear friend. We love you and will wait your next report. We would call, but Penny still cannot talk. blessings in Christ, Rob & Penny

Dirk said...

I got your message in your last comment in my journal, but I wanted to stop by & say fantastic! I'm very happy it went well.

As said before, get some rest.


Carolyn said...

Tom I am so glad and Praise God for this! I willcontinue to keep you both in my prayers, but I am just glad to know and know you are relieved! I can't imagine how long those hours had to be for you! God Bless and get some rest dear brother!!!

Paula said...

So glad Sharon's surgery was a success and I pray she will make a complete recovery.

madison said...

So glad the surgery went well. I'll be keeping her in my prayers for a smooth recovery.

Lou said...

Wonderful!Thanks for letting us know.

RIVER Organization Christian Church said...

Praise the Lord!