Friday, December 24, 2010

Finally Home from Surgery.

Tom's Journal.

Hello Readers and Friends!
I got home from KMH-- Kenosha Memorial Hospital after further Rehab, rest and healing, this past Friday-- came home to my own house in Union Grove, WI., but still have a long row to hoe with the persistent pain of the TOTAL RIGHT KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY AT THE MILWAUKEE VAMC HOSPITAL on Dec. 6th, 2010. The docs and staff at the VA hosp. said that I would have 'some post-op pain' but everyone is different... some walk away with hardly any pain or complications, and others suffer pain BIG TIME! PT nurses, etc. come to my home and work with me at least 3 times a week, teaching me ow to stretch, exercise, walk, etc., but for some reason I am healing very slowly and still have much pain. The local church has brought over food and encouragement, but I am home alone and my Computer had the hard drive burn out and had to be replaced-- and I still can't get my AOL back and functioning yet! My brother Albert and his son, Steven have boarded my faithful dog, "Deuce" the Rottweiler these past 3 weeks, and I get him back on Sunday so I'll have 'someone' to talk too.... lol. Sorry that my PC was broke-- and my power chair fried the electrical harness right when I needed it the most-- on the way from the VAMC parking lot-- to the hospital building....Ha! It's still in the shop-- but I can't drive my vehicals yet anyway.

I have a long bitter/ sweet story that I need to write about, the surgery, staff, ill treatment --- some of it disturbing and uncomfortable-- the way I was treated at the VA- 5 day stay post-op recovery at the Milwaukee VA, etc.

I just want to get this initial post/ message out to you all, that all the "Dream Team" VA surgeons/ docs and staff say--was a very successful complete right knee replacement surgery. Confidentially, with all the trouble and pain, I WISH I NEVER HAD THE SURGERY in the first place, and right now, I certainly don't plan on having the Left knee cut and replaced any time soon! But everyone says that in a few months-- everything will feel better and I might have a change of heart and mind. I Fasted 2 days BEFORE the surgery and flushed my bowels out with Phosphate soda--and continued my Fast [no eating at all] for 13 days--when I finally got home for the last time last Friday. I had NO BLOOD in my surgery...for personal, health reasons, and the surgeons respected my wishes [], and I believe that the actual surgery last about 3 1/2 hours. The doctors were satisfied with their 'handy work' and said the incission looked good and healthy/ normal. I wish I could remember their names so I could post and thank them. All the time my wife, Sharon, is still at the Woodstock nursing home and Rehab, but I sent some friends, like Steve Brulport, over to drop off some Coca Cola, Grapefruits and a cooler to keep her beverages cold. THANK YOU, STEVE BRULPORT, faithful close friend and Christian warrior! Your reward is waiting for you in heaven.

My son, Andy, and nephew, Steven Schuckman, have been over to my house a few time to help and do some errons for me too. Bill Lee, from church came over to visit and bring some good food too.

Thank you all for you many prayers and well wishes!

Warm Regards,
Tom Schuckman


JT said...

Merry Christmas! May God Bless You.

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Happy your home Tom and a Very Merry and Blessed Christmas to you and yours!!!

Rev. Hagee said...

Tom Merry Christmas and Welcome home. Praying for you. PTL

Heli gunner Tom said...

Praying for a good and complete recuperation on that knee Tom.
May God send his blessings upon you and Sharon this Christmas.
Deuce will be so glad to see you. I hope your power chair/ scooter will be ready when you get ready to use it. That was great that people brought food to you at home. Take care now.