Monday, January 10, 2011

Making Amends.

Tom's Journal.http://tomschuckmanjournal.blogspot.com/tschuckman@aol.com

Hi Friends,
I couldn't help but apply this timely short sermon to myself-- and my own 'injuries' of my right knee replacement, etc. For what ever reason, we go through life hopefully learning and maturing as Christians do IF they read/ study the Bible and apply it. I am far from perfect, and sometimes take out my pain and frustration on those near and dear to me--- shame on me, but I'm human. I 'figured' that I worked hard all my life and now have a few coins to rub together with some decent health providers/ insurance, a roof and a few cans of sardines... lol, but I am still not happy. "Happiness is a by-product of serving God." Paul told us, 'Having food and clothing, we should be content.' But the devil and his earthly agents continue to bombard us with every goofy greedy commercial-- glittery things that we really don't need, especially in our present economic melt down!

Bottom line: WE SHOULD BE LEARNING FROM OUR MISTAKES, and ought to give thinks to our Father in Heaven for all the times we narrowly escaped death or permanent injury!
Can we not learn from the many Bible episodes and accounts of errant Israel being disciplined every time they fell away from pure worship-- but went after false gods??

I used to pray for a "balanced attitude", but now I pray for humility and a pure heart. I hope it's not in my 'gene pool' but it's hard for me to forgive and forget injuries done to me in the past. I have a few good old mentors who help me in this struggle of mine, but the proof is in the pudding. I need 'long suffering' when I get behind the wheel-- as the other folks will NEVER get past their selfish, "me first", crazy, dangerous way of driving. It's just some thing I will have to learn to live with and just LET IT GO-- LET IT ROLL OFF MY BACK... and move on! If I master this, I feel that I will have gained something good.

My wife, Sharon, MIGHT be coming home in March, if all goes well. I hope to see her today and bring her some fresh fruit, hugs and kisses. I could really use a hot [balanced] meal, but walking any distance is too hard for me-- and so I opt for the easier drive-in restaurants and 'fast food' -- but that gets old... lol. Maybe I will get back to cooking my own food soon as I progress in my Rehab. My PT guy, from Kenosha Visiting Nurses, Erwin Lim, and I get along OK, and we talk about the Bible often. He actually carries an electronic Bible in his service gear, KJV, that is also a NoteBook PC. I just ordered another batch of Defined KJV Bibles from: biblefortoday.org ---to continue my Gospel sharing ministry in public, and those 'products' cost me about $130, but many of the ones I wanted [large print-hard cover for $20 each] are on back order until July !?! People at Woodstock Rehab where Sharon stays want that type of Bible now! I am looking for inexpensive large print KJV Bibles-- please let me know if you know of any to be had.

Tom Schuckman


Pocket Devotions

Day 117: Making Amends

Daily Impact

The League offers several printed resources other than Gospels of John. These include booklets that explain the gospel for children, and our powerful reference guides. Learn more in the Resources section of our web site.

ReferenceActs 9:32-35

"As Peter traveled about the country, he went to visit the saints in Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, a paralytic who had been bedridden for eight years. 'Aeneas,' Peter said to him, 'Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and take care of your mat.' Immediately Aeneas got up. All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord."

Thoughts for Today:

I think it is an interesting choice of words that Peter spoke following the healing of Aeneas, "....take care of your mat". Why take care of the mat? Why pay any attention to it at all? It was useless and pointless; after all he was now healed. What need did he have for a mat? Why not throw it away, ignore it and begin his new life without the burden of that old mat?

I think there are two points in the purpose of the mat. The first is revealed in verse 35, "All those who lived in Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord." In other words, without the mat people can forget who you were before the Lord healed you -- the mat becomes evidence of your healing. All too often we accept the Lord's healing then over time forget the pain. The mat helps us to remember and continue to be a witness.

The second is a little more subtle, "take care of your mat" -- or in the King James Version: "make thy bed" -- meaning clean up the problems you caused or created before you were healed (while you were still sick).

Questions to Ponder:

Has the Lord healed (or is healing) you from a spirit of greed, anger, selfishness, intemperance, pride, etc? Have you experienced joy as a result of the freedom from bondage to sin (the mat)? What about the people who were affected by your sin? Have you made your bed, have you cleaned up after yourself, have you taken care of your mat? Have you made amends to the people who were affected the most?

1 comment:

Rev. Hagee said...

Tom

Regarding your eating. I just started with Nutrisystem as I have about 120 LBS to lose and it is day 6. I am shocked (as someone who loves ribs, potatoes, bread, butter, BBQ chips, Pepsi, and cheesecakes) that I am not starving or left feeling unsatisfied. I would HIGHLY recommend it. HIGHLY.

You get shipped 4 portioned meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert for each day and they arrive in 4-5 week bulk shipments. You add to it unlimited fresh veggies/salads and can add portion controlled carbs such as multi grain breads, pasta, brown rice. The food takes 1 or 2 minutes only to heat up. Amazingly, I am happy with the taste. Most of the food they give you does NOT need refrigeration BUT it looks and tastes like a heat up microwave entree. BETTER than those lean cuisines in my opinion. The convenience is simply amazing. You subsidize with added fresh veggies, fruits. As a man, you will eat,] breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack, dinner, and a dessert (very good). as well as consume 64oz of water a day.
They have a special going which they call "select" which entitles you to an extra 7 or 10 days of what they call "fresh frozen" meals which are supposed to be really excellent. They arrive about 10 days after your initial order of all the regular non-refrigerated items. The cost for 5 weeks of food is $300. and they set you up on an auto delivery plan. All you buy at the store is your produce and your condiments you like/special healthy breads.

I sound like a commercial for this but I wanted to share a better way with you to eat. One that I have decided to go for. Hey, if I can eat well, not have to fuss and cook my meals in 60 seconds when I am hungry, and NOT feel full or like I am eating like a rabbit, then this has got to be good.

By having the food pre-defined for you and portioned, it makes sticking with it real easy.

Just thought I would share.

Rev. H